Saturday, October 23, 2010

San Joaquin

I’ve been having trouble getting connected to the internet for the past couple of days (thanks brown-outs), so I’m posting two entries at the same time.

Last weekend, we went on a field trip for tech to San Joaquin, which is a municipality in the south of Panay Island and Tyler’s permanent site, to learn about the implementation and enforcement of MPAs (Marine Protected Areas) and to practice completing ecological assessments for technical training. We arrived to the municipal hall on Friday around lunchtime. In true Filipino fashion, we had about a thirty-minute presentation on CRM activities in San Joaquin and a full hour and a half of introductions and thank you’s. The meeting began with an opening prayer, then the Filipino national anthem, then the American national anthem, and then a hymn for San Joaquin. Before we got to the MPA presentation, we had welcoming remarks, then opening remarks, and then each of us got to introduce ourselves in Hiligaynon. After a very interesting presentation about all the CRM work going on in San Joaquin, we had remarks from the “the honorable and most beautiful” Mayor (as she was introduced to us). She thanked us for being in her municipality and in the Philippines. When she tried to pawn off her eldest daughter to Elliott, who will be in the municipality where her daughter works, and she told us that we were all so beautiful and should stay and improve their race!

After leaving the municipal hall, we went to two different MPAs to do coral reef assessments. Having already practiced these tools earlier in training, we were much better at doing the activity, identifying different species of fish and estimating percentages of different substrate on the reef bottom (hard coral, soft coral, plants, dead coral, or rock/sand). The reef was beautiful and much healthier than the one we saw in Banate. We had so much fun snorkeling and swimming around. All I could think is that I can’t believe this is my job.

That night we went back to the resort we were staying at. It was great having an airconditioned bedroom to sleep in, but unfortunately Dan won the Odd-Finger game, so Rob and I had to share a bed. I slept fine, but apparently I kick a lot in my sleep. I argue that I was just trying to defend myself. Before we went to bed, Tyler’s supervisor, Marvi, brought some of the employees from the LGU (local government unit). All 12 of us had the chance to party together at the resort, and lots of videoke and dancing ensued.

The next day we went to our third MPA, received our thank you’s and said our goodbyes. About 30 seconds before it was time for a Peace Corps representative to give a short speech, Darwin told me to go up. I was supposed to talk about what we saw, but I spent more time thanking them for their “overwhelming hospitality” and all the snacks, giving a special shout-out to the french fries (they gave us french fries after our second MPA site visit!!). My friends told me they were expecting more about the MPAs and less about the french fries, but they were all satisfied nonetheless. We then were headed back to Banate. Thankfully it’s Tyler’s permanent site, so without a doubt I will be returning soon.  




A picture of the reef taken by Sam.


Another reef shot.
A Congo line may or may not have happened.
My whole CRM technical cluster, with our trainer Darwin, Marvi, and some members of the San Joaquin LGU.

No comments:

Post a Comment