The first week of January was the celebration of the Foundation Day of Nueva Valencia, Guimaras. In the last blog post, I describe a hectic week of fiesta activities, fun and games. But the party continued right through the weekend.
Friday night was DepEd Night and teachers from all the schools had coregraphed dances. The first batch of teachers included Nanay Elsa. They were all wearing hysterical Spanish dancing gowns (definitely not the usual outfits for these older ladies), their dance was very well rehearsed. Nanay Elsa was the star of her performance. She was in the middle of the pack then whole time, and then at one point, everyone formed a circle around her and faced her. Everyone stopped, the music sped up, and Nanay Elsa was left to get down, while the audience cheered feverishly. Afterward, Riro asked me if I saw Nanay Elsa’s “spaghetti.” I’m not sure if I can think of a more apt description.
Stacey and Stef came down from Jordan for the evening. After watching just Nanay Elsa's dance, we spent some time in the food court eating and drinking, a little time at OMAS doing the same, and then went over to the plaza to listen and dance around with the live band. It started pouring so everyone huddled together under the massive umbrella covering the center of the court, but everyone just kept dancing. A very fun and very standard fiesta Friday night in Nueva.
 |
| There's Nanay Elsa to the left of the pole in the center. |
 |
| Riro, Stef, Rose Jane (from the provincial environmental office), me and Mario. |
 |
| Me, Riro and some of the engineering office staff outside my office. |
 |
| Denise in full DepEd attire |
 |
| Nanay Elsa still getting after it. Behind her is the district supervisor |
 |
| Rose Jane, still tiny |
No rest for the weary. Leaving Stef and Stacey still passed out in my nipa hut, I was woke up early Saturday morning to meet up with my coworkers. We were going to the inland barangay, Lanipe, where we were attending the baptism of the daughter of my coworker, Bayoto. I had spent time in Lanipe for the wedding of Josa, a former coworker from OMAS. I hadn't been back since. I was hoping this would entail a short ceremony, some lunch, and then a long afternoon rest, a short evening at LGU night, and then getting in bed nice and early. Of course, this is not how the day unfolded.
I knew I was in for more than I anticipated when stopped to pick up three 1-liter bottles of Emperador Light. On the way there, I found out from Nini that it's also the baptism of Josa's daughter and am I still going to be the godfather! Still?? I guess my coworker Josa had asked me when she was still pregnant and coming into the office, and while I happily said yes, I did not think it would come to fruition. I hadn't seen her in months, but I guess that doesn't matter much.
Also along the way, it was apparent that I was going to be the godfather for Bayoto's daughter as well. Two in one day! Knowing how indirect Filipinos commonly are, I should not have been surprised. Plus it's considered an honor to have a foreign godparent, so I shouldn't have been too surprised.
When I arrived at the 7th Day Adventist Church of Bayoto, I was introduced to Zyril Delles (nickname Ayn Ayn) as her maninog. After getting back to Bayoto’s house, I went across the road to Josa’s house, where I was introduced to my other hijada (pronounced ee-ya-da) Yannie (nickname Yan Yan).
After eating the obligatory lunches at both house, it wasn't time to leave. Instead, it was drinking time. I should have expected this as well, and we spent the entire afternoon sitting around while the men sat in a circle passing around the Empi Lights and water. The girls were off doing whatever it is that girls do.
 |
| With my old coworker Josa and her daughter Yannie (goddaughter #1) |
 |
| Nini looking much more natural than I |
 |
| Me and the whole clan at the baptism of Zyril (goddaughter #2), who is sitting in the front. She was born June 25, 2011 but the family waited until the barangay fiesta for the baptism. |
 |
| Me, Zyril, Bayoto, Zyril's mother, and Bayoto's other daughter |
 |
| It's happy hour somewhere |
After leaving Lanipe, we went straight to the office, where we were being summoned by Tita Sun to practice our office dance. Saturday night was LGU Night, the “highlight” of the festival. Thankfully the dance rehearsal was nixed, giving me just enough time for a much needed power nap in the hammock, which is located in the plant nursery.
LGU night was an elaborate ordeal with a Mr. and Mrs. LGU competition, as well as lots of group dancing. To kick off LGU night, all the offices lined up on the court. The music started, and one by one each office did a little dance. The OMAS staff did an interpretation of “planting rice.” After we were all seated again and ready to relax, we were asked to all come up again. The employees from all the officers were tired and very reluctant. Eventually Nang Zuray, the emcee for the evening, was able to rouse the troops and get everyone on the court. Soon enough, the music started and a video with dance moves come on the screen. It did not take long for everyone to be following the dancing, jumping around, eventually breaking out into a conga line. The festivities went on (and on and on and on) until about midnight, but it was a fun evening. Tita Sun was the runner up for Mrs. LGU while Teddy received first place.
When the event was finishing up and the band from Iloilo was getting started on stage, Sir Obing got on the microphone. People had had enough, but Sir Obing started calling out different offices and shouting, “This is your night. You must have fun. Come up and dance. You must have fun.” He was exhausted at this point, but you can always count on the OMAS staff for to rally.
 |
| When I left for Lanipe, this activity was going on. When I returned 7 hours later, it was finally finishing up. But what are they all looking at... |
 |
| Yes, those are loud speakers. This was the sounds competition. The one with enough base to rattle your insides won. |
 |
| LGU Night |
 |
| Tita Refine and the rest of the OMAS staff getting down |
 |
| I had the honor of putting the victory sash on Teddy |
 |
| Holding down the fort. And the rain didn't stop anyone (see Teddy's rain protection on the right) |
It was 12:30, LGU Night was finally done, and I was walking to the plaza with my coworkers. I was ready for a beer or two and then a good night sleep, but as we arrive to the food court, Riro tells me it’s Ritchel’s birthday. “Today?” I asked, knowing my fate. Next thing I know, a case of beer has been bought and we’re back in our office drinking. I introduce to the group a drinking game called 20 plus 1 just for the sake of finishing off the case and going to sleep. We did, not until 4:00 in the morning, but luckily I didn't have to wait long to hitch a ride home.
Although exhausting, it was a great night and a really memorable week. Since the fiesta ended, the office has been in over drive, trying to get 2012 underway. I'm busiest now with our MPA, which I'll be sure to talk more about next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment